Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Princess Half Marathon 2018

After getting a day of rest, I was ready to get the half marathon done.


In case you missed previous posts from the Princess Half Marathon Weekend:

We had to wake up earlier due to having to be on bus earlier.  When I woke up I realized that I slept hard and through the night.  And even though I had slept through the night, I was in a very deep sleep when the alarm went off.  So I was tired again...

I wore my new Running Skirt (tri version with my own shorts) and it had pockets.  I haven't had a skirt with pockets, so I decided to try the race without my big belt with water bottles.  I had two pockets and a small race belt that I put my Gu in.  I then carried a throw away water bottle.  The combination actually worked out very well.

We got on the bus and headed to the start.  Once there we headed towards the mile long walk to the corals.  As we were were walking we both noticed that the path was paved.  We both remember a gravel path when we did it 4 years before.  Either they paved it or we were taking a different way there.

I decided to hit the port-a-potties one last time and Candace went to our coral to get us a spot.  I was glad that she did get us a spot as by the time I got there I couldn't even find her.  I had to call and have her talk me through where she was.  I finally found her and we relaxed till it was ready to star moving forward.

As we moved forward we ended up standing next to a guy dressed as Prince Charming.  We asked where his Princess was and he said that she was in the coral before us.  He didn't want to slow her down so he didn't ask her to stay back a coral.  That is a Prince Charming.

Before we knew it we were off.  My plan was to keep up with Candace as long as I could and then let her go as she is much faster then I am.  No matter how many people say they want to stay with me, they always stay a few steps in front cause they don't like how slow I am.  I hate feeling like I'm keeping people back.

The first couple of miles were slow as the crowds were thick.  We couldn't go much faster then we were, but Candace mentioned how her shins were hurting already.  As we came up to Magic Kingdom, there was such a beautiful sunrise.


We came around the parking lot and there was the Evil Witch from Snow White with her cauldron.  The second time that weekend I wish the line wasn't as long as it was as that was a great character picture.  But I knew I was running against the clock and I didn't have that time to spare.

The sunrise just kept impressing us. 


As we came into Magic Kingdom, there were a slew of characters and staff to welcome us.  That was cool to see.

It was now time to head down main street of Magic Kingdom.  This is probably the most fun place to run.  To have such huge crowds cheering is just an amazing feeling.  And it was such a beautiful morning to see the castle.


We continued on through Tomorrowland at a good pace but it was slow due to such crowds.  We came around the back of the castle and noticed that Princess Minnie wasn't there like she usually is.  

The Bell castle was a sight to see with the beautiful sky. 

We ran through the castle and got a couple of pictures in front of it.


We went through Adventureland and out of Magic Kingdom.  I noticed that Candace needed to walk a lot more then we were, but I left the pace to her.  It was a girls weekend and I was having fun being with my friend that I rarely get to see.

Candace said that now that we were over half way, we were fine with time and she wanted to walk.  I was fine with that, but my quads were cramping up.  My legs are used to the combination of running and walking and I was having issues with all of the walking.  Candace told me to go on, but I didn't want to as it was a girls weekend and I wanted to have fun with her.  She said the weekend was also about the bling.

We went by this beautiful lake.  There was truly some beautiful sights that day.


Since my quads were cramping up, every so often I would stop to stretch and have Candace keep walking.  And then I'd run to catch up with her.  That seemed to be helping a lot.  As we were coming to mile 10 it was getting so hot.  I knew I was getting burned as I don't wear sunscreen when I run cause it just gets in my eyes with the sweat.  As we came up and around the exit ramp after mile 10, you could see the tons of people behind us.  I knew there was no way we would get swept even if we continued walking, but I really wanted to get done.  It was hot, I was tired, and my quads just kept cramping up.


The last few miles I really had to pee.  I didn't really want to use a port-a-potty, not that I saw any.  But also the thought of trying to pull up sweaty pants just wasn't what I was in the mood for.

We finally came into Epcot.  I don't think I have ever been happier to see the Epcot ball and know we were almost done.  We saw and heard the beautiful choir and they were wonderful as usual.


We were finally done.  I actually like the medals more then the pictures I saw before the weekend.  My quads and feet were killing me.



We got back to the hotel and showered.  Candace was leaving with her family as they were driving home to Boston.  I took the afternoon to soak in the pool and take a nap.

That evening I had a nice dinner at Narcoossee's with my friend Kelly and a few of her friends to celebrate an end to the weekend.  Dinner was so good and we could see the castle at Magic Kingdom from there.  Apparently you could see the fireworks from Magic Kingdom there, but our dinner was early.


As the dinner went on, it was taking awhile.  I was actually glad it was as it might allow us to see the fireworks.  The waiter was very nice and knowing we were celebrating the weekend, he brought us a glass of champagne.


It turned out that as we finished up desert, it was time to see the fireworks.  Because I have only been going to Disney for runDisney, I had never had a chance to see the fireworks as it usually means going to bed early to be able to get up early.  So this was a treat.  It turned out that someone on the other side got engaged.  It was sweet.  The night came to a close.  It was time for me to get back to the hotel so that I could pack for my flight in the morning.


A funny story from my trip home the next day.  My flight landed mid-morning and I got a text from Candace.  She said that they were in Richmond and she was waving to me.  I happened to be driving home from the airport.  I called her and asked where they were.  It turned out that they were a mile or two behind me on the interstate.  How funny.


You can also catch up on my vlogs from the Princess Half Marathon Weekend.




5 comments:

  1. It does always seem to be a relief once we enter epcot! It's like we know it's not much longer till the finish line!

    I agree, we don't always get to see the fireworks or illumination either because we are in bed by that time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the fireworks was so much fun that I wish I had more opportunities to see them.

      Delete
  2. You really had some beautiful views over the weekend! I struggle with the sunscreen thing too :( I end up usually wearing it and then deal with burning eyes later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every time I read a recap of the princess race I always want to do one! Maybe someday

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! Congrats on another half! So glad y’all got to see the fireworks, too! What a perfect ending to a fun weekend!!

    ReplyDelete