Friday, June 22, 2018

Trees vs. Safety (Friday Five Edition)

Wednesday I had a couple of trees taken down in my front yard.  While I thought it was just cutting trees down, I actually found it very interesting.


When I bought my house 16 years ago, there were these really small little Evergreen trees in my front yard.


Over the years they grew.


And grew.


Because they are right in front of my front door, security became a concern.  Someone could easily hide behind the trees or break in my house without my neighbors seeing.  I really didn't want to cut them down, but I didn't have any other option.

I randomly found a company that cut trees down and asked if they could come and give me a quote.  It came to $275 and I wasn't sure if that was outrageous or just about right so I decided to find another company get me a quote.  The second company came in almost $200 higher, so I went with the first company.

They came by this week to cut them down.  While I didn't have to be there, I wanted to make sure that everything was done to my satisfaction while they were there.  And it made it easier to pay if I just gave them a check.

They came by and had a crew of 5 or 6 guys.  All of them very nice.  They started cutting the first down and I felt sad.  Cutting down beautiful trees like that is one of the things I really didn't want to do, but I knew that my house would look nicer and I would be safer doing so.



The mulched it up and moved to cut down and mulch the second tree.



They were going to grid the stumps as well and I have to say that this was the most interesting part as I didn't know how that would be done.  They brought out this machine.



They put up a mesh gate to stop the house from getting hit with anything that might spew out.  And they started to grind down the stump.



And then the second.  They filled up the holes and they were done.  In total the process probably took 45 minutes.  While I really will miss the trees, I'm glad it's done.  I do think that the house looks better and I feel safer knowing someone won't be jumping out.




Have you had someone take down trees around your house?  Were they dead and unsafe or just getting too big? 



I'm linking up with Fairytales and Fitness and Running on Happy for Friday Five 2.0

4 comments:

  1. We recently had some trees taken down -- but yours are more what I would call shrubs. And I think you got a good deal.

    We had 3 trees done -- a huge pine, a half dead pine about the size of your shrubs, and a mostly dead birch tree. It cost $800.

    The huge pine wasn't very healthy and close enough to the house that it could do some real damage if it fell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we just had this done as well. I was amazed by how went into it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like they did a nice job with the trees! My brothers cuts all of the trees at my parents, he doesn't like it if anybody else touches his trees.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw I feel the same sadness when trees have to be cut down. Even if they are dying or unsafe for some reason, it is sad. My parents had a huge tree in their yard for like 30 years and had to have it cut down because it was dying. My mom cried and cried. Your house does look nice!

    ReplyDelete