Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Princess 5k 2018 (Tuesdays on the Run Edition)

I know the Princess Half Marathon Weekend was ages ago, but I'm working through getting my recaps complete.

In case you missed previous posts from the Princess Half Marathon Weekend:
The Princess 5k started nice and early at 3 AM.  After not getting up right away, we finally made it to the bus around 3:45 AM and off to the staging area we went.


The Princess 5k has always started in the Epcot parking lot.  When we got there the corral area had not opened yet.  I don't know if they had pictures with princesses before the race like the do for Star Wars (well Star Wars characters, not princesses for those races) as I didn't even think to look.  We sat and stretched and a few minutes later they opened up the corral area.

We both were in Corral B.  We headed to the front area of the corral and sat.  There was a lady there that was her first time doing a runDisney event.  She was so excited and talked about her costume and all that.  Both Candace and I talked later about how we used to have that enthusiasm for runDisney and now that is gone.  For me I don't know if it's just runDisney or all races right now.

We sat there for about 30 minutes before the wheelchair racers passed us.  Everyone stood and cheered for them.  And then they started to let Corral A make their way to the start line.  And very soon after, they had Corral B head to make our way to the start after them.  I had been messing around taking pictures of the start line and I heard my name call out.  My friend Kelly from my Star Wars races called out.  I had been looking for her earlier and I was glad she found me.  A quick hello as I had to keep moving to keep up with our corral.

There were about 4 waves in Corral A and we were in the first wave of B, so it wasn't long till we were on our way.  We ran for a minute or so and came behind some walkers.  So we decided to walk.  In fact except for a minute here and there, we walked the whole thing.

We knew we weren't going to stop for characters as the lines are always way too long.  A few highlights of characters were Mike and Sully from Monsters Inc., Beast from Beauty and the Beast, and Dopey.  Most of the 5k was us just catching up with each other.  We hadn't seen each other since MCM in 2016.


Before we knew it the 3 miles were done.  My left quad hurt a little and one of my toes felt like it was bruised again (though it was not).  We got our medals, water, & food and headed towards the buses.


The last walkers were just passing the bus area, which made it perfect timing for us as we wouldn't need to wait.

Time to get back to the room, shower, and head to Animal Kingdom.

You can also catch up on my vlogs from the Princess Half Marathon Weekend.





12 comments:

  1. I still have not done a Disney race yet! They always look like such a blast except for the getting up so early part!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fun time! I love that Rapunzel medal :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read 3:00 am and I think I got sleepy!! HOw do you do that? what time do you go to bed to get up that early?

    Congratulations on an awesome race!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't go to bed as early as I like, but I try before 10. That means no late dinners or watching fireworks. It also means naps during the day. Which also means less time at the park. But we keep going back even with the early mornings. :)

      Delete
  4. I have not seen Beauty and the Beast out on the course in FOREVER! I think I saw ONLY Beast at the 5K back in 2010.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I remember correctly it was just the Beast.

      Delete
  5. I've done a few Disney races and would hate the early wake up calls. However, Princess Marathon Weekend is a fun thing to do with friends. I would like to do it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really about having the friends (or family) with you to enjoy your time there.

      Delete
  6. I didn't do Princess this year, but it's quite the weekend! I do love runDisney events. I can't imagine getting up that early for more than one or two days in a row though, even though I'm kinda used to early running here in Florida.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every time I go I always say I'm not going to do all three races just for that reason. It just gets so exhausting.

      Delete