Monday, April 25, 2011

Easter Dinner

Since it was Easter Sunday and my parents were over at my house and they helped me plant my tree, I offered to cook them dinner.  Out of the choices I gave them of the stuff that was in my fridge, they opted for salmon.  I had the salmon in my freezer for a while and it needs to be eaten at some point, and this was perfect.  Since I bought the fish from Costco, it was HUGE.  I thought I would cook it all anyway and eat the left overs for the next week.  Easier then trying to cook in the middle of the week, especially the busy one I had in front of me this week.

I cooked the salmon in foil from a recipe that I got from allrecipes.com.  I had done it once before and not only made the cooking of the fish easy, but clean up easy too.  I threw some different spices, including my new fresh basil, squash, zucchini, and grape tomatoes.  Then I squeezed fresh lemon on it all and wrapped it in foil.

Cooked Salmon
Squash, Zucchini, and Tomatoes that were cooked with the Salmon.
    


While the fish cooked, I chopped and boiled some kale to make braised greens.  Once that started cooking, I put some corn on the cob in my brand new steamer.  Then I started on the hot cross buns, thinking that they could cook in the oven while we ate.  Boy I was wrong on that.  While the total time said 45 minutes, it didn't account for the hour it had to rise.  I didn't read the directions in detail earlier that day when I was pacing things out.  So no hot cross buns for the folks.

I put the cooked kale in a pan of oil and onions.  Then added vinegar as the last touch.  Surprisingly, everything finished almost at the same time, minus the corn, which I should have waited to put in, but since I'm not that skilled at cooking a meal for everyone that gets served at the same time, I'm still working on that.  Usually, I throw things together and eat what is done when it's done while I'm cooking other things.  But it's good to practice serving a meal at the same time.

Braised Greens
 
Corn on the Cob

I had also cut some fruit up, as I had tons, so there was a huge variety of food around.  Everyone seemed to like what was done, including me.  After they had left, the hot cross buns were just about ready to put in the oven.  Now, I'm not sure if the buns were suppose to be sweet or taste more like a role, but they tasted more like a role, when I expected sweet.  But they were good, especially with the dried cranberries in them.  I didn't bother to make the icing, as it was just me to enjoy them.

Yummy Fruit
Hot Cross Buns - minus the icing
    


I now have tons of food to last me through the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment