Monday, April 25, 2011

Planting a Tree

I have been wanting to plant a tree for about a month now.  I don't know where that idea came from, but as I recall, it started out small and got bigger till I really knew I wanted to.  Last week, I called my mom to see if she could help.  I really don't have any type of green thumb, in fact, I don't really know anything about plants.  But my mom on the other hand has a green thumb and loves to come over to my sunny yard and plant all the sunny type plants that she can't in her shady yard.

On Friday, I stopped by a local nursery to see what they had.  I talked to one of the employees and told her that I wanted some sort of fruit or flower tree that won't get too big.  I have enough tall and big pine and oak trees as it is in the back of my lot.  She showed me two types of fig trees.  She said something about other fruit trees needing cross pollination or something like that and said that a fig tree would be the best with my conditions.  So we picked out the best looking little baby tree.  And the best of that is, it fit in my car.  I was so afraid I was gonna have to maneuver it on its side or come back with a borrowed truck.

The Fig Tree that was purchased.


Sunday came.  Hottest day of the year so far in the upper 80's.  My parents came over with shovels and extra mulch.  I didn't buy enough soil, so my mom went to the hardware store for extra (and picked me up a basil bush since I'm cooking a lot more).  While she was at the store, my dad and I dug up the hole.  It was worse soil then I thought.  Lots of clay and rocks, not good for my baby tree.

The Fig tree in its new home, almost.


When my mom got back we sent my dad into the house to "watch" TV (when I say "watch", I mean he sat on the couch and fell asleep as he always does when the TV is on, but won't admit to his catnaps).  My mom and I rounded out the whole, put in the tree, and filled it up with soil.  I watered it till it drowned and then we covered it with mulch.  While I watered, my mom planted the basil in one of my pots.

My new Fig Tree!!


Just wanted to throw in a picture of my beautiful blooming azaleas.


1 comment: