Tuesday, March 20, 2018

DFL > DNF > DNS (Tuesdays on the Run Edition)

I don't know when the first time I had seen the acronyms of DFL (Dead F*ing Last), DNF (Did Not Finish), and DNS (Did Not Start), but the first time it really meant something to me was when I did my first marathon.  I got this bib holder shortly after as I truly believe that it is better to come in last then not finishing which is better then not starting.


I was to do my first marathon January of 2015 at Walt Disney World.  I was very excited for this race and trained for it very well.  My parents were even coming down with me to celebrate this next step in my running adventure and we made a whole weekend of it.

Along with the marathon, I had planned on volunteering for the 5k and running the 10k, so my parents and I got down there on Wednesday to go to the Expo.

Thursday was a COLD morning, just like it was cold this year for marathon weekend.  I had to buy an extra jacket, hats and gloves to volunteer for the 5k.  After that, we spent the rest of the day at Universal.  If you have never been, go!  They have two really fun parks and the Harry Potter section is beyond amazing.

Friday I got up and ran the 10k.  After the race I showered, changed, and headed back to the expo.  For the life of me I can't remember why, but I have photos from there.  I got back to the hotel I grabbed a Chicken Quesadilla for lunch.  We really didn't hadn't planned much for the day.  Maybe Downtown Disney or something.


By dinner time I was really starting to feel sick.  Very nauseous and tired.  I told my parents that I'd like to skip dinner.  All night long I was in the bathroom with vomiting and diarrhea.  I couldn't sleep.

I got up early on Saturday because I actually had to work.  We had a major release that got pushed back to that day and since I already had my trip scheduled, I had to give up part of my trip to work.  I was starting to feel better, but still felt sick.  And by this point I was dehydrated, like really dehydrated.  I was so worried about the marathon the next day.

After I was done with my work I talked to my parents and we decided that I should at least talk to a doctor.  I had noticed that one of the pre-dialed buttons on the phone was to a doctor.  When that is dialed you talk to a doctor that is on call and explain your situation.  They can send a doctor to your room for medical care.  The doctor on the phone explained to me that with my symptoms I should go to an urgent care facility (transportation would be provided) or the ER.  He said that I most likely needed fluids on top of medication and fluids is something that the urgent care facility could not do, so I would probably have to go to the ER.

Even though I was feeling a little better, I had not eaten or drunk anything in almost 24 hours.  I was very worried about how I was going to get through 26.2 miles.  I had put in so much training and this was my first marathon, I was devastated by this point.  I decided that I would go to the ER.

But how would I get there, we took the Magical Express and we have no car.  Well since I called the on call doctors they wanted me to go via ambulance.  I felt very silly doing that because I could walk.  But that is how they wanted to do it.

Within 30 minutes I had a knock on my door.  The EMTs were there and started taking my vitals.  I had the resort manager come by and see how things were.  Then an EMT went to go get a stretcher.  I kept telling them that I could walk and didn't need it.  But it was the rules and on the stretcher I went.  Everyone that saw me gawked and pointed.  I'm sure they were wondering what was wrong with me and assumed it must be bad, when it was just a little nausea.

I had my first trip in an ambulance.  In route, they started an IV for fluids.  The EMT in the back couldn't be nicer.  He told me he thought I had food poisoning since I didn't have a fever.  I told my parents that they didn't need to come as I didn't want them sitting around a waiting room.  My mom felt bad that I had said that as even though she couldn't do anything, she wanted to be there anyway.  So the resort manager got them a cab (which Disney paid for) and they met me there.

I was brought back and evaluated some more.  I kept telling them that if I didn't have a marathon the next day everything would be fine.  I was just worried that I won't be able to run it.  They gave me some medicine through the IV and wanted me to stay there while I got more fluids through the IV.  I was there for about 4 hours and just laid there and watched Storage Wars the whole time.  The doctor that I finally saw told me that I wouldn't be able to run.  I was devastated and just cried.

I was glad that my parents did come.  Once they released me they gave me a couple of prescriptions.  Thankfully there was a pharmacy in the hospital.  My mom told me that they were given a voucher for the cab and when we were done we just needed to call to get a ride back to the resort.

The fluids and medicine helped, but I knew I had to keep drinking and eat something.  I got some plain spaghetti from the cafe and ate what I could.  I truly was feeling better, but I didn't know if I felt good enough to run for 26.2 miles the next day.  I told my parents that I would make the decision in the morning.

The alarm went off nice and early.  I hadn't had any trips to the bathroom since the hospital.  I decided that I might as well try to run.  If I couldn't finish, then at least I know I gave it my best.  I had trained and all I could do was try.

The first 8-9 miles were fine.  I didn't really feel nauseous at all.  I saw my parents at the Contemporary Resort and told them that.  But soon after my stomach felt a bit off.  It wasn't bad enough to stop, but it was bad enough to walk a lot more.  I stopped at every medical tent and picked up the Pepto chews which seemed to help a little, but not for very long.


I kept chugging on and new that if I felt bad enough I could just stop.  But it really never got worse then some nausea.  I was able to get a few Gus in me to keep up my strength.  I kept walking more and more and before I knew it I was on the Boardwalk.  I knew I could finish at that point.


I was so glad that I tried.  I would have felt so miserable if I didn't try.  While it was not the race I imagined (are any ever?), it is a race I am very proud of.  If things had happened 24 hours later, I wouldn't have even started the race.


Do you have a DFL, DNF, or DNS story? 


4 comments:

  1. Wow. You definitely win medals for your determination! I have come close to a DNS a few times -- always for family stuff -- but somehow have managed to miss one. So far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember my sister telling me about this. And we were there too! What a crazy story. Why do we get sick at the worse times? At least you still were able to finish. And you definitely earned that medal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! Honestly, had I been in your shoes, I would’ve done the same exact thing! I’m glad you were able to run and complete the marathon without much trouble! Kudos and congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Now that's what you call determination!!

    ReplyDelete