Friday, March 23, 2018

Friday Five Firsts (Friday Five Edition)

I was talking to my friends over the weekend and we started discussing firsts.  Not that kind, get your mind out of the gutter.  It started by seeing what our first purchases were on Amazon and what our first plane ride was.  I found the conversation interesting and thought I'd a Friday Five Firsts.


1. Amazon

I have been a purchasing items on Amazon since 1999.  My first order was on January 14, 1999 and I bought 2 books.  A little bit of background of myself.  I was a huge fan of U2 in high school and college.  And to say I was a huge fan, is an understatement.  More like obsessed.  I've seen them in concert all over the country and in Ireland and England.

The next part of this you can't laugh at.  I was in my early 20's.  I wanted to write a story involving the band, but I wanted to use real quotes that the band had out there to create the conversation part of the story.  And like most of my big ideas, I never followed through on it.





What is more embarrassing is my second purchase on December 5, 1999.  I know I enjoy reading astrology, but all for fun.  I don't remember buying this book and I haven't seen it anywhere in my house in the last 20 years so it makes me wonder if it was purchased as a gift.



2.  Plane Ride

While I know I don't remember it, I know when I was about a year we had a trip to Jamaica.  I know we would have flown there but of course I don't remember it.  There is a picture of me with my parents there and I have been told many times that my brother was conceived there.

The first plane ride I remember was going to Mexico.  I was probably 5 or 6.  I remember that we went to a small airport and not Stapleton International Airport in Denver.  My brother and I got those little pins with wings on them.

These are not the wings we got, just an example

3. Tweet

I joined Twitter in January 2009, but I didn't have my first tweet till February 23, 2009.  I remember being very bored in my job and really not having much to do.  I found twitter and that sucked up some of my boredom.


4.  Music

While I was after the time of 8 Tracks (though I remember we played The Chipmunk's Christmas Don't Be Late every Christmas on 8 Track) I actually do remember my first Tape and CD purchases.  I remember my first Tape purchase was done in a Target.  Don't ask me why I remember that detail.  It was What Up, Dog, because it had the song Walk the Dinosaur on it.


I remember getting my first CD player.  It was portable and one of my prized possessions.  The first CD I bought was "Weird Al" Yankovic's Greatest Hits.  I'm not sure why that and if I should be embarrassed by it or proud of my weirdness.  But I do still have that CD.
 

5.  Trouble

I'm sure I got in trouble before this, but this is the first time I got in big trouble.  When I was little I went to a Montessori school.  I was about 4 or 5 at the time and we were out for recess and the door to the teacher's lounge had a sign that said "Do Not Disturb".  I, along with two friends, kept cracking the door open and yelling "Disturb!!".  We thought we were so funny.  The teachers never came out to tell us to stop or anything.  I do remember that evening my parents gave me a talking to and how they were very upset by what I did.  At that age, I was very upset that my parents were upset with me.


What was your first Amazon purchase?  Where was your first plane ride to?  What was your first tweet?  What was the first piece of music you bought?  What did you to do get into trouble the first time?


I'm linking up with Fairytales and Fitness and Running on Happy for Friday Five 2.0

7 comments:

  1. My sister and I were just talking about first purchases through Amazon and she looked it up and she had bought a VHS tape......that's how long ago it's been....lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool to look back at firsts like this! My first plane ride would have been when we moved to the US from India when I was a baby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I don't remember my first amazon purchase. I just started a twitter account last year and I think it was about brownies, My first plane ride was to Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe you remember your first amazon purchase!! I am struggling remembering that... but I think it was a CD. Back in 2001, I ordered CDs from CD NOW, which was bought out by Amazon.

    First flight was to Mexico in 2006.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG, I remember CD now! I bought cds from their too before I knew about Amazon!

      You can check your history on Amazon and it will show all your purchases under that account.

      Delete
  5. Wow, you were on Twitter pretty early on! Or perhaps I'm just late to the party on all social media platforms...haha.

    I know my first cd was Amy Grant and I think my first cassett was Madonna...haha

    ReplyDelete