Sunday, December 24, 2017

Weekly Update - Christmas Edition....Sort Of... (Weekly Wrap-up Edition)

Hi All!

I'm supposed to be training for the Princess Half Marathon in February, but my running has been about as sporadic as my posting to this blog.  I have realized, that no matter what I have been doing for exercise, running is usually the only thing that prompts me to post.  I don't know the reason, but I seem to think about possible posts while I run.  That never happens when I'm biking or swimming.  But since I seem to be in a better swing of things for my running, maybe that will correlate to my posting.  One can hope.


I've been getting in a couple of runs a week for the past month.  This past week I actually got three runs in.  I haven't had any knee pain, so I have been pushing the runs a little.  My run on Saturday was very good.  I ended up not joining the running group as I only planned on 4 miles and no one could do brunch afterward.  So that meant I could sleep in and run in good temperatures.  When I finally got out it was in the lower 60's.  Even with the wind blowing a lot, it was still great temperatures to run in.  In my neighborhood I usually try for progressive runs without looking at my watch.  Which means if I had a really good first mile, that meant that each mile after I would have to push a little bit more.  That's what happened Saturday.  I had a good first mile.  Then a good second mile.  By the end of the third mile I couldn't catch my breath, but I kept pushing.  I didn't think I had much in me for that last mile, but I was determined to push through it.  I haven't pushed on a run like that in a very long time.  And the time for this run, was as good as my times were when I was in my best running shape.  But back then, I wasn't huffing and puffing and barely getting the last steps in.  But this shows me that it is possible to get back into that shape again if I work at it.  Or maybe close to it.

If anyone is wondering, I have finished up my second week at my new job and so far I have really loved it.  Even though this is a contract position (to hire after 6 months and if all goes well), I have been made to feel like I am one of the team.  The team has been without a Scrum Master for awhile and while they are getting all the items done they need to, it's very chaotic.  I get to start reining things in and get things organized.  It's even more then I could have hoped for.  I can't wait to get things truly started in the new year. 

Christmas is tomorrow and while it will be low key as usual, I think it will be nice to spend some time with my folks.  While my dad doesn't seem to understand a lot that is going on, he is almost always in a good mood.  I'll go over to their house sometime in the late morning.  We will have the homemade Cinnamon Rolls and do the gift thing.  We will eventually start making dinner.  Throughout the day we most likely watch a couple Christmas movies, including A Christmas Story.

I didn't do much Christmas decorating.  But every year, I make sure I put out a Christmas flag.  Here is the one that is out this year.



While I don't do much decorating at my house, my mom will do some at her house.  Here are some of my favorite things that my mom puts out.

My grandmother made these figures.  When I was little, she did a lot of these Slipcasting pieces when I was younger.  I even went with her a few times to make my own.


I made this reindeer - yes, that is a reindeer - when I was in middle school.  I always hated it because it was not done very well and really needs a lot of work.  But my mom loves it.  There probably is a reason she covers it up with that big bow.


And this is my favorite Christmas decoration.  That is my cute little chubby face there.  It is an ordainment that usually goes on the tree.  But the years that my mom doesn't put up the tree, she still gets it out and displays it.  That is one item she will never let me have.  She may even be buried with it. 


This was my second year participating in the  Fairytales and Fitness' Blogger Holiday Card Swap.  This year I got a cute kitty card from Chaitali.  I was able to meet her earlier this year at the Star Wars Half Marathon in Disney World.  Included was an Amazon gift card. Love Amazon!



As I was writing this post, I had carolers come by to sing me a song.  I have never had carolers come to my house, it was amazing!  And they were giving out small bags of home made cookies.  Wow, that was just so special.

I hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas!!!

What are your plans this Christmas?  What are some of your favorite Christmas decorations?


Linking up with Holly and Tricia's Weekly Wrap Up.

6 comments:

  1. Happy to hear that the new job is going well! I've never had carolers come to my home either - that must have been so fun!

    Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The carolers were truly one of the highlights of the weekend. Merry Christmas to you and your family as well!

      Delete
  2. Awh, I think the wooden reindeer is cute! The big red bow just gives it some color ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still say the only reason the bow is on it is to hide all the defects. But thanks!

      Delete
  3. Wow, you made that deer? That is very good! My grandparents had those same ceramic Santa and Mrs. Clause and my parents also had the Santa. They use to sit under the tree until it was time to put gifts under it.

    Your baby ornament is beautiful and how cute is that cat card from Chitali!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you got the card, I figure cute kitties make everything better :) And yay for the new job going so well!

    ReplyDelete