Friday, December 22, 2017

Christmas Traditions (Friday Five Edition)

I know everyone is saying this, but I can't believe that Christmas is only a few days away.  was the Winter Solstice.  I know I have stated before, but one of the things I don't like about the fall is that the days get shorter.  And we have come to the shortest day of the year.  My dad has always loved this day.  He says that is because every day from here just gets longer.  That is defiantly something to look forward to.  

Christmas is just 3 days away.  I know everyone has been saying this, but man has the time just flown by!  I thought I'd share with you some holiday traditions that my family has for Christmas.
1. Christmas Jammies - As Christmas would get closer more presents would appear under the tree.  While we were able to touch, shake, and guess what might be under the wrapping, we were not allowed to open any.  Not until Christmas Eve.  And then, we were able to open just one.  And these would always be our Christmas Jammies.  My Grandmother would pick out new jammies for us to wear to bed on Christmas Eve.  Even though I no longer live at home and my Grandmother is no longer with us, I still get a pair of jammies before Christmas. 
We even got matching jammies last year in Denver.
2. Homemade Cinnamon Roles - My mom has been making homemade Cinnamon Roles for our Christmas morning for as long as I can remember.  Not only home baked, but she has always made the bread part of it from scratch.  She starts the process the night before so that it gives time for the dough to rise.  She then finishes it up and lets it bake while we open gifts.

3. Santa Gifts - I have found the different traditions with Santa gifts very interesting.  When we were little, we were only allowed to ask Santa for two things.  The night before we would put out cookies and milk for Santa and hang our stockings (with care).  The next morning we would find our stockings full as well as the two things we asked Santa for, unwrapped, and sitting on the fire place step. 
My dad helping me hang my stocking Christmas Eve in my new Christmas Jammies when I was about 6 or 7.  (No our fireplace did not have a mantel)
Here are a couple of funny stories about Santa gifts......

One year, my brother asked for the Kitt Car from Knight Rider.  He found instead of the car, he got an IOU.  I guess they had those "hot" toys sell out at Christmas back in the 80's even before the Internet caused a frenzy.  The day after Christmas we went on vacation and when we got back, my brother got a card saying that Santa was very sorry for the delay and he could find his gift at the next door neighbors. 
On the first year I didn't believe in the Santa magic, I thought I could blackmail my folks into getting me a Cabbage Patch doll that they had refused to buy me earlier that year.  I don't remember how I found out about Santa, but my brother still believed.  I told them that if I didn't get the doll that I would tell my brother the truth.  Well they apparently don't do ultimatums and I didn't get the doll.  I honestly don't remember if I told my brother or not, but I know that was the last year he believed as well. 

4. Stockings First - Growing up, my Grandmother lived with us.  She was an early morning person, while my mom could sleep most of the morning away.  Like all kids, my brother and I would get up so very early on Christmas morning and rush downstairs to see what Santa had brought us.  We were allowed to play with our Santa gift, but nothing else.  Our Grandmother usually was up with us, or not far behind (especially if we were a little loud outside her door).  Once she was up, we were allowed to open up the gifts in our stockings.  This would give my parents a little extra sleep as they were always up late helping Santa out.  Once they were awake, we were allowed to open up the gifts under the tree.

5. Christmas Dinner - Instead of a traditional Turkey or Ham dinner, we have Goose.  Yes, like they had in A Christmas Carol.  I really don't know where in my family history this tradition started, but it is a yummy tradition.  If you have never had Goose, it's like having the dark meat of a Turkey.  Geese are usually smaller than Turkeys, so there usually isn't much of any left overs.  The rest of the meal is basically exactly as it is for Thanksgiving: Brussel Sprouts, mashed potatoes (with celery root), corn (to be mixed in with the mashed potatoes), stuffing (with a can of Cranberry sauce), gravy, rolls (when we remember to put them in the oven), and deviled eggs.  Mmmmm, getting hungry now.

One last item I wanted to mention is one that started probably 10 years ago or so.  It would be watching 24 Hours of A Christmas Story.  This is by far, my favorite Christmas movie.  We usually have it on for a bit of the day till my mom gets tired of it.  I haven't seen it yet this season, so maybe that's why it's not quite feeling like Christmas yet.  "You'll shoot your eye out!"  Did you know that there were two sequels to this movie?  I knew of one - My Summer Story.  I saw it on TV once and what I remember is the Bumpus' dogs.  And as I was looking up the title of this one, I found out that there is also A Christmas Story 2.  I'm going to have to get my hands on a copy of that one.


What are some of your Christmas traditions?  Do you have a favorite Christmas movie?  Any funny Santa stories?


I'm linking up with Fairytales and Fitness and Running on Happy for Friday Five 2.0






8 comments:

  1. That's a funny story about what your brother wanted that year. I love the Christmas Story as well and always have to watch it at least once all the way through on Christmas Eve. Unlike most kids, we did not get up too early for Christmas. I think my parents were happy about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my folks were happy that my grandmother was around to keep us entertained to give them a few hours of sleep. I'll be pulling out the DVD of A Christmas Story this weekend as I no longer have cable and don't even know if they are running the 24 hour Christmas Story. I'll find out when I get to my parents house. :)

      Delete
  2. I love the matching pj's idea and enjoy those cinnamon rolls! I bet they smell amazing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No matching this year. I did get VCU (my alma mater) jammies this year.

      Delete
  3. I love the matching PJs, what a great idea! I had no idea there were sequels to A Christmas Story. Our Christmas movie tradition is Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas, we're going to watch it tonight :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My family and I have been wearing matching Christmas pajamas for the past few years and it's probably one of my favorite traditions!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the matching PJ pic! Will you do another one this year?

    That is a very unique tradition that Santa would keep a few presents unwrapped sitting in the fireplace! I guess that's a good thing though because it allowed you and your brother to have something to play with before your parents woke up! Isn't it fun looking back at Christmas traditions? -M

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't that funny about a Christmas Story -- I stopped watching it when they played it 24 hours! It's one of my faves but I haven't seen it in years.

    I love your Santa gifts. We do the same for our kids. I hope they love the tradition, too.

    ReplyDelete