Friday, May 5, 2017

Five Highlights of the Star Wars Dark Side 5k 2017 (Friday Five Edition)

Here is the recap of the expo from the Star Wars Dark Side Half Marathon Weekend.  If you missed my previous posts, please take a moment to catch up.



1.  Character photos before the race - Since everyone needs to get to the start line at Disney World so early, they have characters out so that you can get photos with them.  The Star War race is where I have seen the most characters, eight I think.  Friday morning we decided to take the first bus down and get a couple of pictures before the 5k started.  We were able to get Boba Fett and BB-8.

 

2.  The start - Because you don't have to prove your time, I'm usually able to get into coral A.  This makes it nice as it doesn't seem as crowded as it is when you start further back.  And even though there is no time limit per se, I feel more comfortable stopping for character photos when I start towards the beginning.


3.  The course - The course is the same as all of the other 5k's that they do in Disney World.  It starts and ends in Epcot.  You can get a lot of pretty pictures of the world as the sun comes up.


4. Character photos during the race - This is the first time that I didn't feel intimidated by the character lines.  I think they are getting to run them more smoothly so that they go by faster.  I did all the character stops except for the Ewok, which now I regret and wish I would have stopped.


5. The bus back - When I was done, I made my way to the bus line.  I got there and there were no buses to be seen.  It took about 5 minutes for them to start lining up.  I thought that was weird as I really had a slow 5k time since I stopped for several characters.  What I didn't realize was that the bus line was on the beginning of the course and the last corral must have just gone through right before I got there.  I thought I heard the announcement for a corral to leave, but because it had been so long I thought I was just hearing the finisher announcer.  I guess that was the start for the last corral that I heard.



Continue on and read about our day at Epcot.


Do you get to a Disney race early just to take character photos?  Do you like to stop for characters during the race?



I'm linking up with Fairytales and Fitness and Running on Happy for Friday Five 2.0

2 comments:

  1. I actually don't stop for character photos. It has to be really good for me to stop. I prefer to get to the parks with my medal post-shower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pics! I never take the fist bus down to the start so I usually never have time to get a photo before hand.

    ReplyDelete