Friday, September 14, 2018

Summer Photography Workshop (Friday Five Edition)

This past summer I took a 6 week photography workshop.  The workshop was for those who used a DSLR camera and knew how to use the manual settings on them.  The plan was to have minimal classroom time and go out to different parts of the James River most weeks to take photographs.


I took a couple of photography classes in high school and have a fancy (even though it is 10 years old) DSLR camera.  I haven't used it much in the past several years, especially after getting an iPhone, so this was a way to get me out there to use the camera.


The first week was in the classroom going over basics of photography: ISO, aperture, shutter speed, etc.  Also what to expect for the rest of the workshop. 

The second week we went to Pony Pasture (where I ran the Pony Pasture 5k).  My favorite pictures from that evening were from me playing with the settings.  This is the same spot, the first was done with a faster shutter speed (water frozen in time) and the second is with a slower shutter speed (the blurred water making it look like cotton candy).

ISO1600 - f/5.6 - 1/400
ISO800 - f/22 - 1/13
The third week we went down to Bell Island and the T-Pott Bridge.

Richmond
 This is one of my favorite from the night.  I love the lines and the focus into the unfocused.


The park area have these odd circles.  I love how the light just comes through the trees.


The fourth week it was a very hot night with a good chance of storms so we had a classroom evening and looked at and discussed the groups pictures.

The fifth week we went down to Rockets Landing.  It was an overcast evening, which made some photos tricky, but it was fun to help each other try and help each other try different settings. 


 Another picture with the lines I love with the in focus to out of focus.


I do love focusing on just the one thing in the picture.


One of the city with some great reflections in the river.


As it got darker, we played with lights streaking.  This is done by having a slower shutter speed, like the river that looks like fog.


The last week we went down to the Flood Wall to do some light painting.  We wandered around and took pictures while we waited for the sun to go down.



This was done with a macro extension on the end of my lens.  I zoomed in to where it gave me the circle framing.


Once it got dark enough, we went down to the water's edge and did some light painting.  Light painting is where you have a slow shutter speed (up to 30 seconds) and have someone move a light to look like it is painted.  You do not see the person moving the light because they are either still or move in enough away from the light that the camera does not pick them up.  The light painting was my favorite week.

This was done with a light stick (like a light saber).  He twirled it in a circle while walking from one side of the photo to the other.


This was done with a light at the end of the string.  He spun it in a circle in front of him and then turned in a circle.


This was done with cage holding something on fire on the end of the string.  He is spinning the string in the air and you can see the sparks flying in the circle.


This was a very fun workshop and I wished we had more weeks to go out to take photos.  While we had a shared Dropbox to post our photos each week, I'd also like to have a few more class sessions to discuss them with the class.  I got some very valuable feedback from them.  The leader of the class has different workshops through the year and I really want to take more.

Have you ever taken a photography class or workshop?  Have you ever done any light painting?


I'm linking up with Fairytales and Fitness and Running on Happy for Friday Five 2.0

7 comments:

  1. Taking a photo course is on my bucket list for the year. I don't even have a real camera anymore but I'd love to learn how to use one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really fun. Especially to learn how to do stop motion verses blur. But the most fun is the light painting!

      Delete
  2. Nice pics! I am not very photo savy. That would be fun to take a class and get some good tips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was great to not only have the instructor, but other people to confer with.

      Delete
  3. I have never done a photography workshop but would love to some day. Looks great and those are amazing pics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this so much! I did take a photography class in college but we didn’t go off together to take pictures like this. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete