Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Let's Finish This! (Tuesdays on the Run Edition)

As I continue my goal of doing at least one race a month this year, my pick for the September race was easy, the Speak Up 5k.


In 2014 I ran the Shamrock 8k and volunteered at the half.  I would learn that a 16 year old girl, Cameron Gallagher, passed away just after she crossed the finish line of the half.  She suffered from depression and anxiety and wanted to raise awareness of teenage depression by creating the Speak Up 5k.  Her parents, who did not know she was working on it, found the plans, sponsorship requests, and speeches for the race and made it into reality in September 2014.  I've wanted to do this race since, but each year I had a conflict.  This year I didn't.

The race was in Byrd Park, the same park where I did the Frostbite 15k.  I arrived there about an hour early so that I could find parking and do packet pickup.  I found parking just across the street from the park and went to pick up my bib and shirt.  The packet pickup was by bib number, not last name.  Thankfully they had a bib lookup board.  The shirt was so soft, I can't wait to wear it.


There was an after party and the booths were mostly set up.  I decided to walk around and see what was there.  I was amazed that this 16 year old girl had this dream and her family and friends made it come true.  It was sad that she was not here to see it come true.


It then hit me that there is that much support and help out there for those with mental illness today.  I started to tear up thinking that if there was this much support and openness out there when I was a teenager, I probably wouldn't have been in so much pain.  While I am fairly comfortable talking about my depression and anxiety now, it was much different when I was a teenager.  I teared up, partly because I was happy for those that have the resources but also sad that I didn't have the same thing.  To say the least this was a very meaningful race, even before it started.

They were also handing out this card. Take time to read it both ways, it’s very cool. 


I headed back to my car to put my shirt up and grab my race things.  I also wanted to get some cash to donate to the CKG Foundation.  I hung out at my car a bit and before I knew it, it was time to head to the start line.

They had pace signs lined up and I headed to the back of the start line.  Cameron's dad said a few words before the start, including letting us know that it was not a race, but an experience.  He said that before Cameron started the Shamrock Half, she turned to her friend and said "Let's finish this!".  And we were off.


The morning was overcast and very humid out.  There were so many walkers where I started and had to run off the path to get around.  I love walkers, but I think they should have had one more pace sign for walkers so that the runners could start ahead of them.

There were several cheer stations.  Some had high fives, others had water soakers and silly string.  and others had bubbles.


There was even a bag pipe group.


This park had a 3 lakes and we were able to go around all three.  There was also one water stop that we crossed twice.


I couldn't wait to finish, only because it was so hot and humid.  Everyone was drenched with sweat.  A couple of the people taking photos were from my photography workshop that I took over the summer.  It was fun to see them.

There were also a lot of inspirational signs.


Thankfully there was a lot of entertainment on the course to help distract me from how humid it was.  I was grateful to see the finish line.  I crossed the finish line and was surprised to see that they were handing out medals.  They also had cups of water and tons of food.


I walked around one more time through the booths in the after party.  They even had a bounce house set up for the little ones.  I was glad I did this race and know I will be back again.


If you or someone you know is suffering from depression, anxiety, or any thing else, Speak Up.  There are resources out there to help.  Remember you are not alone, help is available.


8 comments:

  1. What an awesome event for an amazing cause! I love their theme and overall message!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, even though it was to support mental illness, it was a very happy event.

      Delete
  2. Wow. What an amazing race that's so much bigger than the actual race. What an extraordinary girl she was to come up with this idea - very inspirational considering what she would have been going through herself. So glad you got a chance to do it and that you will be back x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah and the fact her parents didn't even know that it was something she was planning. Just amazing.

      Delete
  3. I heard about the girl passing away. So sad. Nice to hear that they dedicated a race for her. A lot of 5ks don't even offer a race day medal. What a nice touch. Cute shirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, there wasn't any mention of a medal on their site so it was a nice surprise to get one.

      Delete
  4. What an awesome race! Impressed that a young teenager came up with this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this sounds like an amazing event! That's great that you were able to do it this year.

    ReplyDelete