Friday, July 6, 2018

Star Wars Dark Side 10k 2018 (Friday Five Edition)

I'm finally getting to my Star Wars Dark Side Half Marathon Weekend recaps from April.


In case you missed previous posts from the Star Wars Dark Side Half Marathon Weekend:
Just like the morning before for the 5k, I got up early so that I could meet Kelly and Franklin by 3:30 at the buses.  The start of the 10k was in the parking lot of Magic Kingdom.  Of the three races, I think I have the hardest time with the 10k as I am the most tired.  Two days of non stop and then yet another early morning makes me a bit cranky.

We got there and got another photo with Phasma.


Kelly and I were in Coral C while Franklin was in Coral B.  This was a race that we all were on our own for.  Franklin wanted to race this one, while I wanted to walk as much as I could and Kelly was somewhere in the middle.

The race started off in Magic Kingdom and made its way down through Hollywood Studios and then to the Finish at Epcot.  It was much like the course last year.

For the first three miles there was nothing to look at and with the lack of sleep, I was really in a bad mood.  I didn't bring my earphones, so I was just stuck with the thoughts in my head, which really didn't help my mood.  It was in the mid-60's, not too bad for Florida.

About mile 3 we got close to Hollywood Studios.  The 501st Legion was there again.  It is always fun to see all the different Star Wars characters, especially those that Disney does not highlight.

We entered right behind Tower of Terror.  As we came around the front, I saw a photo op with a bell hop from Tower of Terror.  Never seen that, and there was basically no line, so I went on over.


We quickly headed out of Hollywood Studios.  I can't wait till more of that park is open, maybe they might let us run more through it then the little we do now.  But as we left, there was this beautiful sunrise.


And then a picture with The Sorcerer's Apprentice.


As I was heading to the path to Epcot there was a man with his dog and man, did I need the puppy love.  I stopped and snuggled and played with the pup for a little bit and that just lifted my spirits.


On the path to the Boardwalk, there was the speeder bikes.  I pretended that it was going too fast for me.


We finally got to the Boardwalk.  The Boardwalk is one of my favorite places to run.  The crowds are amazing and just what I need by the time I get there in any race.

Around the Boardwalk and into Epcot.  The sunrise continued to be amazing.


Around to Spaceship Earth.  The Storm Troopers were there again.  The last couple of miles really perked my mood, so I thought I would have some fun with this photo too.


More of the 501st Legion was there at Mile 6.  Love the purple of this R2 unit.


Another selfie with the Storm Trooper at the finish.  I might have accidentally elbowed someone as I did that.  Opps.  Sorry!!


And finish.


I got ice for my knee again.  Even though it was OK, I still wanted to preempt any pain.  Got my snacks, water, and took some more beautiful pictures of the sunrise.  While the first 3 miles were really horrible, the last 3 miles really made up for it. 


After I got back to my room, I showered and stretched.  I ended up taking like a 3 hour nap I was so tired.  I stayed off my feet as much as I could cause I knew that the half the next day was going to be a doosie.

Continue reading about my Star Wars Dark Side with the half.

Do you have a favorite park to run through during a runDisney race?  Do you ever stop to pet the dogs that come out to cheer?  Have you ever smacked someone while trying to take a selfie (in a race or not in a race)?



I'm linking up with Fairytales and Fitness and Running on Happy for Friday Five 2.0





8 comments:

  1. That dog is too cute! I love seeing dogs along race routes. I would never stop during a race to pet any, but I would if I would see them any other time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One year I did the Shamrock Half, through the first mile there were dogs every block and I stopped and pet all of them. My running partner was a bit worried about me. But I told him that it helped us not go out too fast during the first mile. :)

      Delete
  2. You always have great race pics, who cares about an elbow here are there. ;) Looks like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it was fun. Just that pesky running thing that gets in the way. :)

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful sunrise!

    I probably wouldn't stop to pet a dog in a race, but before or after I'd definitely be all over that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry this race started off bumpy but it looks like you were having fun by the end! I love the sunrise and the bellhop at ToT! This does sound like a fun course. I hope to get to it sometime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to have the whole race in a park, but I'm glad it was the last half that was in a lot of the park/Boardwalk.

      Delete