Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Run and Ride Kings Dominion 5k (Tuesdays on the Run Edition)

There is a series of races around the country that has races through amusement parks.  No, this is not part of runDisney, but the Run and Ride series.  They put on different length races in four different amusement parks around the country.  I am lucky enough to have one of those four close to home, Kings Dominion.


This is the third year of the race and the weekend includes a 1 mile and 5k on Saturday and a Quarter Marathon (6.5 miles) and half on Sunday.  They also offer a ticket in the cost of the registration, but you had to use it the same weekend.  You could choose a lower costing registration that did not come with the park ticket as well.  There is also a Total Inversion challenge.  This included the Half or Quarter Marathon and the 5k.  The only thing that was on the web was that you get a 30% discount on the 5k.  I didn't even know that it existed except that I saw it was a cheaper option when I signed up for the 5k.  I went to try and figure out what that was and I couldn't find any other information.  I don't think they give any extra swag beyond what comes with each race.  I chose the 5k which took place on June 2nd.

I had been debating on doing this race for a few months.  As time got closer I was having issues with my knee and really didn't know if I should sign up and run another race with my knee acting up.  At the same time, this was a race that I really had wanted to do for the last couple of years.  In the end, I signed up for the race.  On Friday.  The day before the race.  I opted not to get the park ticket as I had to use it that weekend and I've been there several times in the past.  Even without the park ticket, signing up the day before made it an expensive race.

Thankfully they had packet pick-up before the race, so I didn't have to make two trips there.  I got there early to make sure I had time to get my bib and put everything in the car before the race.  I was glad I got there early as there was a huge line already.  It took me about 10 minutes to get through the line.  The swag was a hat that came with race registration.  I ended up paying to get the shirt too, because it was Snoopy themed.  Hello, cute!


The start area was right outside the park.  The theme was Peanuts, and they had some cute signs decorating the area.


This was my favorite.


I took my stuff to the car and came back to the start area.  I noticed that Charlie Brown was coming out.  I of course had to get a picture with him.


I hung around the start area and stretched some.  Soon, Snoopy came out.  He headed to the finisher backdrop and quickly a lined form to get a picture with him.  Glad I knew to follow him so I didn't have to stand in line.


The Clown Band had come out as well to entertain us till the start of the race.  They kinda reminded me of a marching band from school.  They played some songs for us and also told jokes.  Some were corny and some were actually a bit funny.


The band finished up about 5 minutes before the race and we were instructed to head to the start line.  The only issue there is that they filled up the area from front to back.  Since I wanted to be towards the back, I had to work my way through all the people standing at the front to get behind them.  They should have had us walk around to the back to fill in.


They soon played the national anthem and then we were off.  It was in the mid 70's with high humidity.  For the heat and humidity I don't think it bothered me too much.  At least at the start.  The first part of the race went through the parking lot, but very soon they had us in the park.  As I was running through I realized that it had been probably 15 years since I actually was in the park.  As I saw all the new things, it made me wish I opted for the park ticket. 


We came around and they had us running on the car track, but only for a very short time.


We then came to this dinosaur area, Dinosaurs Alive, that was new to me.  It looked like a path with life size replicas of different dinosaurs.  They were huge and some had buttons where you could press and have different parts move and make sounds.


Really cool. 


Then they had us go through a gift shop, which I found amusing.  My knee hurt a little at the beginning of the race, but by this time it worked itself out and felt fine. 


We went around the Wind Seeker, which was new to me.  It looked like a very tall swing type ride.


Then we came around to the Twisted Timbers.  This ride area used to be the Wayne's World coaster.  It is now the newest ride that they keep advertising on TV.  It is part wooden and part medal.  Not sure how that makes it different, but it's the newest coaster.


The next area they took us to was the water park side of the amusement park.  Last time I was here, they had some water rides, but I never actually been on them.  The heat had started to get to me and I realized that we hadn't had a water stop yet.  And I was thirsty.  The first part of Soak City we went through was a wave pool.  They actually had us run right next to it (with a life guard on duty).  I saw a guy ahead of me take his hat and get it full of water to dump on his head.


We ran by a splash pad, where water comes out of the ground and other designs.  This one was off and I was disappointed as I wanted to run through the water to cool down.  We ran through another wave pool area.  More people were splashing water on themselves.  We then ran past another splash pad and this one was on.  I ran through it and it felt so good.  A young girl followed suit behind me and then she complained that she was wet.  LOL.  We then ran by the Lazy River and I so just wanted to jump in and relax on one of the floats.


It was time for us to leave Splash City and head back into the other side of the park.  We ran by the Drop Zone.  That has been there since the last time I was there.


We cam back around to the area where the Shock Wave used to be.  That was a roller coaster that you stood up on.  They tore it down a few years ago.  We finally came to our first and only water stop.  I took 2 cups I was so thirsty.

We ran past the Country Kitchen.  That restaurant has been there since the first time I went to the park.  When we went as a family, we always had a meal there.


We then entered the Planet Snoopy section.  This is an area full of rides for little ones.


They turned us so we went into Safari Village.  This section of restaurants and shops was exactly how I remembered it.


We ran by my favorite ride of the park that I remember, Volcano.  It is such a smooth ride with a very fast take off.


We headed back into Planet Snoopy.  It really is a cute area of the park.


With Snoopy.


And Woodstock.


We came around and there was a hill towards the very end.  That is mean.  I turned the corner and there was the finish line!

After I got my medal I made a beeline to the water.  They were out of water bottles except for one case that was being opened as I go there.  Seriously, with it as hot as it was, I couldn't believe the lack of water.  I grabbed a bottle and downed it right there.  I was going to grab a second, but I noticed a jug to fill up water bottles and went over there to refill my bottle.  They did have plenty of chocolate milk, but I just wanted water.


I headed to my car and at that point I was glad I didn't get a park ticket.  I was hot, thirsty, and hungry and all I wanted was to take a shower to cool down and clean off all the sweat.


Except for the lack of water, this was an amazing race.  It kinda reminded me of runDisney at the beginning before they sold out in a day.  I am defiantly doing this one again, but will sign up earlier so I don't have to pay as much next time.  I'd sort of like to do the Quarter Marathon as well, but looking at the course, we spend half of it in the parking lot.  You really get great park time with the 5k.

Have you done a Run and Ride Race?  Do you prefer water or chocolate milk after a race?



18 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun way to run a race. I don't think I'd be able to do rides after running, maybe when I was younger ;) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I didn't like that you had to use the pass that weekend. If I could have come back another day I would have. The race still makes me want to go visit the park soon.

      Delete
  2. Ooh, this sounds like fun! That's pretty funny that they had you go through a gift store at one point. I bet that splash pad felt amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the splash pad was close to the best part.

      Delete
  3. What a fun race. That's so funny that they made you run through a gift shop! Could you imagine doing that at Disney?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not at all, but the course also doesn't actually go through any ride areas. That was what was neat about this race, you got to go through areas that you would only go through if you were there to ride.

      Delete
  4. Peanuts! I'm not an amusement park person, but I think I'd love that. I was sad when MetLife ditched Snoopy as their brand ambassador as I love the characters around the stadium

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like a fun event! I have never done a race through a theme park...not sure I'd have the patience to put up with the crowds LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I loved this one. Once the race got going, there were no crowds. At least where I was towards the back of the pack.

      Delete
  6. This looks like such a fun race! I love peanuts so this would be right up my alley! Great job and congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was probably my favorite race of the year so far.

      Delete
  7. What a fun race! Sounds like there was no shortage of entertainment on the course. Boo on running out of water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, and a lot of my entertainment was trying to remember the last time I was at the park and figure out what was new and what was the same.

      Delete
  8. I had no idea they had this at Kings Dominion! How fun. It's like a mini Disney without all the hassle

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an awesome idea for a race! I love all the photos with the characters :)

    ReplyDelete