Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Star Wars Light Side 10k 2017 (Tuesdays on the Run Edition)

Honestly I really can't give myself a great grade for my running in January.  I did 3 training runs and ran 3 races, then took 2 weeks off.  I'm starting to get back to the love of running.  It just has taken me awhile.  So instead of going in depth of almost nothing, I'll post more about my trip and races at Disneyland.

If you want to catch up on the previous posts, here are the links.

So we woke up early again for the second race of the set.  I was tired.  Like really tired.  And grumpy.  Like really grumpy.

Kelly and I were in different corrals, I was in E and she was one ahead of me.  I was so far back that I could see the construction of the Star Wars Land.  

We couldn't hear anything that was going on in the front and on top of that there were no video screens further back.  So none of us really knew what was going on up front.  They didn't start moving till the corral in front of us was about to start.  It was really odd to not start moving the corals up as the others went on.

When we got up to the start line, the new guy (I don't know his name) did a rap from the top of his head.  It was actually really entertaining.  I wish we could have heard or seen what was going on earlier in the morning.

Soon after that we were off.  I still was in a bad mood, so most of the first couple miles really were not memorable.  Once we got into the parks, I was starting to have fun again.  We entered in Disneyland and we were able to see the "It's a Small World" ride all lit up.  It was still a little dark, so it was really pretty.  From what Kelly said, the lights automatically had gone off right when she passed.  They must have been on a timer and someone had to scramble to get them back on for when I passed.

My knee did start to hurt again.  And as with the day before, I still wasn't sure if it was because it was my bad knee or that I fell on it during the 5k.  Again, probably a bit of both.

As we went by Dumbo the Flying Elephant and Mad Tea Party, both were on and running with no one riding.  It was fun to see that.

As we came out of the castle and made our way to Main Street, there were horses out.  These looked to be two different ones.  And if I remember correctly, it was Dallas and Chad.  They were both really sweet and Chad even gave me a kiss.  My mood really picked up after seeing those hansom guys.


When I got up to the front of Disneyland I wanted to make sure I looked up to see if there was a character there like Boba Fett was there during the 5k.  And there was, this time it was Captain Phasma from The Force Awakens.

There was a point somewhere in the race were everyone was trying to take a photo of a mile marker.  The people were out in the middle of the course.  As I ran by I called out for everyone to move over so that runners could get by.  Some chick behind me said three times loud enough for me to hear "Someone is cranky".  Yes I was cranky that morning, but this wasn't the first time in the race that people were out in the middle of the course in the way of runners.  I'm all for people stopping and taking photos, but be aware there are others around you.

We made our way through California Adventure again and saw the sights there.  I didn't stop for any characters as the lines were too long and I just wanted to get done.  My knee really was hurting towards the end of the race and I was very worried about having to run 13 miles the next day.

I was so glad to be done.  I stopped and had them ice up my knee.  I decided to take the way back to the hotel past the finish line and it took forever to get around the crowds and race.  I was getting cold and my knee really hurt.

I was so glad to get back to the hotel and to take a real hot shower.  We rested for a bit and then headed down to our breakfast reservation at Goofy's Kitchen.  We have gone there every year.  I think that it's a lot better then Minnie and Friends in Disneyland.

We of course saw Goofy before we were called to our table.  Then we saw Pluto, Minnie, and Chip.  Somehow we missed Dale.

For the rest of the day we hung out in the hotel room watching TV, playing on our iPads, or sleeping.  By the time I left for dinner I was feeling much better resting up.  I really needed to rest. We did head back to the expo so that I could return some things. After looking closely at what I got and how much I spent I was glad to return some things. I also had to get some more glide as what I brought ran out.

For dinner we headed to Naples Ristorante in Downtown Disney.  I had been there after the Tinkerbell Half a few years ago and remembered the cheesy bread to be very good.  We of course ordered it.  The pasta I had was a little underwhelming.  Kelly and I agreed that if we do a pasta dinner before the half we would go back to Marri's Pizza and Pasta where we ate the night before.

We headed back to our hotel to get ready for the half the next day.

Click here to read about the half marathon.

You can also see my vlog for the 10k.

Have you been to Goofy's Kitchen?  Where do you like to go for carb loading at Disneyland?


  1. I love that I can walk off property at DL and check out other restaurants. I walked to the Cheesecake Factory for Tink and got chicken piccata. I get it all the time when I'm there, so I knew it was a safe choice with chicken and pasta. I sadly skipped the cheesecake :(

  2. Yeah, I really do like the easiness of Disneyland. You can get anywhere easily including going off property. It's just a pain to get to from the east coast.