Tuesday, January 22, 2019

What Does 2019 Hold For Running (Tuesdays on the Run Edition)

I don't make New Year resolutions.  Mostly because I do not want to make a promise to myself if I'm not sure I'll follow through.  I will make resolutions throughout the year when I know I have the motivation to do my best.


For example, I didn't make my resolution to do a race a month for 2018 till I was half way through the year.  It was a spontaneous one when I realized that I had done 6 months of that without even trying.  It allowed me to keep up with my running and rehabbing my knee because I wouldn't do any more than 5ks.  What I learned from this is that there are a lot of local races out there that are a ton of fun.  Most of the races I did last year were new to me races.

This year, I only have the Ukrop's 10k on my list.  I have done this race 9 times in the past - but not sequentially.  I'll also get the third medal in this streak to go with these two.


I have nothing else planned.  I'm not even planning on doing any runDisney races.  I've done at least one a year for the last five years and while I will miss the good times, I need to rest.  I have found that the weekends were just exhausting.

I'd like to try a few new races out this year.  But my real goal is to make sure my knee holds up as the year comes up.  This means more cross training on my calendar.  And making sure I do my stretches and exercises 5-7 days a week.

I think I'd also like to do the Ride and Run race again at Kings Dominion. That is a mini-runDisney race that was a lot of fun.  Who knows what the year will bring, but I hope it will be fun and my knee holds up.


I’m linking up with with Join Kookyrunner and Zenaida for the Tuesday Topics Link-up.



 

6 comments:

  1. Since I hadn't been doing Disney races, I've done a lot of new to me local races. I've found that I like them just as much. I miss Disney, but I am glad to not have to leave home for long (because of Baylee of course). I hope you are able to do some races you enjoy while keeping your knee rehabbed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been years since I've done a Disney race. Once year I did a whole bunch for the experience but while I found them to be fun, it was also expensive.

    I hope your knee cooperates soon so you can run more races.

    Thanks for linking up with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your goal of trying out new races this year. Every year I try to do a handful of new races so that I can explore other cities.

    I've actually never done a Disney race but it's on my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not a resolutions person either per say. I also like to jump into a race whenever I see one that catches my eye. I am going to check out that Kings Dominion race!

    ReplyDelete
  5. trying new races and more cross training sound actually great to me! and no one says you have to make resolutions. I feel like I'm a constant work in progress and there are goals along the way and that's good enough for me! As long as I keep moving forward !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you've got a good plan for the year as far as cross training + stretching! I promised Mike no more Disney for a couple years, so that Star Wars land has a chance to calm down.

    ReplyDelete