Friday, August 3, 2018

Napoleon Exhibit (Friday Five Edition)

For my parents birthday (they both have a birthday on the same day) last month we celebrated by going to dinner at Amuse which is in the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts and then see the new exhibit about Napoleon. 


Since it was my dad's 80th birthday, I wanted to surprise him with a bunch of balloons that said "Happy 80th Birthday".  It turns out that I couldn't take them in the museum with me.  So I had to run back to my car and leave them there.  Dinner was amazing as usual.  We love going there for dinner.  After dinner I told my mom that I would take the presents that I had given them and put them in her car.  With my hands full I went to the parking garage and to the top floor to their car.  I went down 3 levels to my car to get the balloons.  Then back up three flights to their car to put the balloons in their car.  Wow that was exhausting.

After dinner we went to visit the Napoleon exhibit.  This was a very interesting exhibit.  I never knew much about Napoleon except he was short, always stuck his hand in his jacket, and tried to take over a lot of Europe.

There were a lot of paintings.


And more paintings. 


And clothing that was featured in paintings.


And the hat.


It also had a lot of explanation and history throughout the exhibit.  I felt like I learned more that evening then I had in some of my history classes.  They even had an Emperor's seat where it videoed you and put your image on the wall like a painting.

Me in the chair.


Me and my dad watching the video of us, which was used to project our image on the wall.


My dad in the fake painting on the wall.


The VMFA always brings very interesting exhibits to Richmond.  I'm glad we were able to see this one.

Do you have a favorite or memorable exhibit that you have seen at a museum? 



I'm linking up with Fairytales and Fitness and Running on Happy for Friday Five 2.0

7 comments:

  1. Congrats to your dad on his 80th! The exhibit you visited looks amazing. If I was closer, I would go. Sounds like you had a great time with your parents. Enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great exhibit and a nice time with the folks.

      Delete
  2. Aw Happy Birthday to your dad! 80 is a big one! I'm glad you were able to make it special for him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a really cool way to celebrate your parents' birthdays. My husband and I are 2 days apart w ours so we often celebrate for the whole week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How neat that your parents have the same birthday!You had quite the workout before dinner running up and down those stairs. I hope he got to enjoy those balloons afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your parent's birthday shindig sounds like a lot of fun! Sorry you had to go through all that trouble with the balloons, but I think balloons are a necessity for a birthday party, no matter the age.... so I love that you had them!! :)

    ReplyDelete