Friday, August 10, 2018

Hamilton (Friday Five Edition)

Last month my mom and I drove up to DC to see Hamilton.  My mom got to my house around 9 and we headed up in the pouring rain to the Kennedy Center for the Saturday matinee.  I had never been to the Kennedy Center and was excited to see the place.


We parked in the underground parking lot and headed up to their Cafe for lunch.   The Cafe was packed and I wasn't sure everyone was there to see Hamilton, or if there were other shows going on.  After we ate, we had a little bit of time before the show started and looked around the gift shop.  I ended up getting a beautiful necklace and bracelet for a great price.

The Kennedy Center is huge and have several theaters.


I didn't know much about the play Hamilton, except it was a Broadway hit, it was about Alexander Hamilton, and that a lot of the music incorporated rap and hip hop.  I knew even less about Alexander Hamilton.  I'm a little embarrassed to say, I thought he was a president.

We headed down to our seats and my mom said that they were in the center about half way back.  The usher walked us down and it was about half way back, but it turned out that our seats were all the way to one side.  My mom said that she called a third party ticket agent and they knew the row, but did not know the seat numbers, just a general section.  Looks like they were wrong.  In the end it turned out fine.  It was easy to get out and we beat the crowds to the bathroom during intermission and the garage after the show.


The Opera House theater was so beautiful!  As I was taking a picture of my playbill with the stage, an usher came to me and said that there was no photography allowed.  I looked around and tons of people were taking selfies, so I thought he meant of the stage.  I get that.  The balconies were so pretty that I had to take a picture of that and he came back and said that there was no photograph at all.  I told him I thought it was just of the stage, and he said no.  It turns out that they were protective of the design of the theater and did not want pictures of it out there.  He walked off and again I see tons of people taking pictures.  I did eventually see something about photography restricted in the playbill, but nothing on the walls as we walked in or any announcement. 

The play was AMAZING.  Probably one of the best plays I've ever seen.  I found myself tapping my foot or bobbing my head along with most of the music.  The actors were amazing.  One of the things I didn't know was that they purposely cast non-white actors as the Founding Fathers.  It made it more of a history of America, not just a history of old white dudes.  It seemed that they also made the point that Hamilton was an immigrant.  With what is going on in the country today, we have to remember that except for the Native Indians, this country was built by immigrants. 

While Hamilton will be in Richmond for the Broadway Under the Stars 2018-2019 season, it was so good that I don't know if I want to wait that long to see it again. It was such a fun day that I could totally do another trip up there to see it again.

Have you seen Hamilton?  Have you been to the Kennedy Center?  What is your favorite play?


I'm linking up with Fairytales and Fitness and Running on Happy for Friday Five 2.0



8 comments:

  1. I live in DC and I think I am the only one who has not seen it yet! Glad you enjoyed

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I'm so glad you got to see this! How did you get tickets? I hear they are really hard to get. The National Tour is coming to Baltimore and Philly next year. I hope to be able to see one of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom got them. I think she just did some Googling on buying tickets and found a third party seller. I didn't ask what they cost, but I'm sure it was a bit over face value.

      Delete
  3. I should be embarrassed to say that I don't know a lot about Hamilton either but it must be all the rage as I've been seeing it all over social media.

    Don't you hate when people don't follow the rules? That stinks that everyone was taking pics but you were the one that got told about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I saw others being told to stop taking photos too. It looked like the ushers were more busy telling people to stop then showing people to their seats. Signs or an announcement would have made everyone's life easier as no one knew that they couldn't.

      Delete
  4. I really want to see Hamilton! I got the sound track from Amazon Prime Music a few years ago and fell in love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. my son and I really want to go see Hamilton.. for now we have to settle with listening to the soundtrack.

    ReplyDelete