Friday, November 16, 2018

Diwali Celebrations (Friday Five Edition)

In my area at work, most of the people I work with are from India.  Because of this, there was a huge Diwali celebration this week.  I've learned a lot about the holiday and was welcomed into the celebration.


Diwali is a five day celebration, also refereed to as the festival of lights.  This is because Diwali coincides with the darkest night in the Hindu calendar.  During this celebration temples, homes, and offices are brightly lit with candles, lanterns, and other festive lights.  It lasts for five days, which includes cleaning, decorating, eating, fireworks, and visiting loved ones.  It's like 4th of July, Thanksgiving, and Christmas all rolled up in one.

While Diwali was last week, we celebrated in the office on Monday.  Most people came dressed up in their best Saris and Kurtas.  I even bought myself a Kurta to join in on the fun.  Sadly, I never got a picture of me in it.  Next time I'll make sure I get one.

Last week everyone decorated their area.  There was even a contest for the best decorated area - and we won!



There was also dancing, games, and music.  Unfortunately, I was too busy with work to join in on the games, so I don't know what was played.


And then there was the food.  I think everyone that is from India brought in some sort of homemade dish.  I admit, I did go back one or two times to try more.  Everything was so good.


Everyone that has been here for a few years kept saying that this year's celebration was the best by far.  I cannot wait till next year's celebration.

Have you ever celebrated Diwali?  What is your favorite holiday celebration?


I'm linking up for Fridays with Fairytales and Fitness

 

10 comments:

  1. How cool! I have an Indian student who showed me a video of a celebration ( like a dance) she and her family attended but that was last month. I wonder if that was part of the Diwali celebration. I will have to ask.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, ask. It's such an interesting celebration.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Yes and I didn't get into everything. But it was so much fun.

      Delete
  3. how fun to learn so much and be welcomed into the celebration of another culture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun! That's really cool that you had all that stuff at work. Things have been so busy that I didn't even have a chance to do anything to really celebrate Diwali this year. I definitely miss it and am going to have to make sure that I don't let it slip by next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So what type of things do you do to celebrate?

      Delete
  5. That would be so fun to experience the Diwali celebration! I have taught a family piano lessons for years and they are from Nepal, so they celebrate Diwali. I never celebrated that with them, but I was invited to their eldest daughter's graduation party (I was her piano teacher) and there was a ton of fun Nepali food and dancing. Paul and I were the only white people there and we felt honored to be included!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do have a lot of people from Napal as well. I just love being around so many cultures and food. And so much better than you can get in restaurants.

      Delete