Monday, October 2, 2017

Medal Monday - My First Medal (Tuesdays on the Run Edition)

There are times when I walk down my hallway, I really start looking at all of my medals.  I don't know if I could honestly tell you if I had a favorite one, but each one has a story.  I thought I'd start a series of posts which shares these stories.

 
I had been running on an almost regular basis for a year and a half when I got this medal in May of 2012.  This was for The Race For the Cure 5k that always takes place Mother's Day weekend here.  I've only done this race once because my schedule never worked out to do it again (and it usually was on my birthday weekend as well).  

 
I had done a couple of 10k's (both the Ukrop's 10k) and a few 5k's before this in the year and a half.  I ran with a couple people from the gym and my race buddy.  We were running it because my gym teacher's wife was battling breast cancer (and won later that year).  One of the ladies from the gym was driving and she is a policewoman.  I remember her driving being very scary, but feeling very safe at the same time.  She would do these precision moves that you didn't think were possible and pulled them off.

 
The race is a course that by the river, downtown.  What I remember from the course are a few really steep hills up and one steep downhill at the end.  I would find out later that year that it's the same finish line as my first half marathon.

 
We didn't get the medal as we were finishing the race, but as we were leaving the after party and heading back to the car.  I didn't even know that they gave out medals at races as I had never gotten one before (the Ukrop's 10k only started giving medals out three years ago).  I thought they only gave them out if you won the race.  I am actually surprised I kept it and now I'm glad I did.

What was your first medal for?  Did you know that you got medals before you started entering races?


4 comments:

  1. What a cool story and great that you remember so many details of your first race! Do you think they meant to give the medals out at the after party or do you think they forgot to give them out at the finish line?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea for a series of posts! How funny that the medals weren't given out at the finish. My first couple 5ks definitely didn't have medals and I was surprised when I got my first medal at the first 10k I did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first race was a Halloween one at WDW. They were doing the rubber medals then, but the design is a Mickey pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think my first "medal" was at the first ZOOMA Annapolis. It was a necklace with a runner girl charm. Unfortunately, I lost it at some point...

    ReplyDelete