Monday, August 14, 2017

Weekly Update (Weekly Wrap-up Edition)

It's been another not so exciting week for me.


Because of work, I haven't been able to do much of anything.  There were days when I had things that had to get done, like laundry and grocery shopping, and I just didn't have the energy, but still had to get them done.  Days like those, I wish I had a wife to do the domestic things. :)

I still haven't had a chance to get out on my bike.  Between rain and work, things just haven't worked out.  Though I'm thinking about going for a run next week.  Maybe.

The new position that I'm slowly transferring to has gotten under full swing.  I had some people question my authority of the new position, but I stood my ground and had management backup.  Things are starting to go really well with it now.  I enjoy the roll and have really missed it.

Even though I had to work some this weekend, I didn't plan anything social.  I really wanted a couple days to just decompress and sit on my couch and be a sloth.  I decided to get a monthly subscription of HBO and catch up on some shows from the last year.  I got through the last season of "Silicone Valley" and the first season of "West World".

"Silicon Valley" is just a fun show.  Though I do get tired of right when you think things are great, something bad happens.  Not just bad, the worst thing that could happen at that moment.  I understand needing the ups and downs, but it's getting really predictable on when something horrible is going to happen to them.  Like every third episode.  But it's still a fun watch.


"West World" gave me mixed feelings.  I do enjoy sci-fi and the thought of where we could go with our technology but the moral aspects of AI bothers me a bit.  There have been many stories out there of AI being "alive", from "Short Circuit" to "I, Robot", but this takes it to the next level.  I think it would be so much fun to have a world to go into to go on an adventure.  Like if I were to join "The Lord of the Rings" or "Alice in Wonderland".  But then there is the moral aspect of, if we make AI to look and act as another human, is it OK to rape, maim, and murder them knowing that they are just robots?  Is it any different then video games?  It's no wonder they rebelled in "Terminator". :)  I also have to say that their opening credits feels a lot like the "Game of Thrones" opening credits.  Similar music and a slow movement of different things.


Over the weekend, in Charlottesville, there was a lot of violence.  Charlottesville isn't very far from here, maybe an hour and a half.  It's a great town that I like to visit.  It's a university town with a lot of wineries near by.  What's not to love?  Like in Richmond, they have confederate statues of southern soldiers which are in debate on if they should be taken down.  A white supremacy group decided to protest the removal of the statue.  They have rights to their own views, but when those views turn violent it just makes me sad.  It just hurts my heart that someone could hate someone so much without even knowing them.


Have you been watching any shows?  How is your training going?


Linking up with Holly and Tricia's Weekly Wrap Up.

8 comments:

  1. I saw that we are getting free HBO this week through Amazon! I didn't let Scott know though...haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that you stood up for yourself!

    I have been watching bits and pieces of Game of Thrones, because it's on HBO ALL THE TIME! and because my brothers and Husband love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sucks that people questioned your authority in your new position. I'm glad you had management support. That definitely makes it easier. I agree with you about Charlotte, it's sad that so many people felt the need to gather and be comfortable in expressing their hate. I'm glad that there were counter protestors to show that not everyone felt this way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It feels good when management has your back. I've had jobs in which they did, or didn't. I don't take good management for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why were people questioning your authority? Were they angry or needed clarification? Glad that management backed you up.

    I love that picture of Nelson Mandela. Every single work in it is so true.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you enjoy your new position. I'm glad you were supported by management. I'm not watching any shows right now. I usually watch more TV in Winter. I do miss having HBO.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just got HBO free as a freebie from our cable provider - now I have to figure out what to watch :)

    Great quote from Mandela - I just have no words for what happened this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I truly don't understand the hate and violence. It's so sad.

    Your new work position is great! Glad things are falling into place!

    ReplyDelete