Monday, March 28, 2011

Granola Bar Triumph!

So, I was inspired by Julie's post about the baking she did the other day.  I really was in the mood to make some granola, which I have never done before.  I'm not much in the kitchen, but I have been trying a lot more in the last year.  I have always been really good at chili and nacho type things, where you just throw a bunch of things together.  Never followed any type of recipes for those types of things.  But now I'm trying to eat healthier and with that comes trying to prepare fresh things from scratch.  I took a couple days looking at different recipes, especially on Allrecipes.  I found what looked like a real easy recipe and read some reviews that helped me make it just a little more healthy.  So I took this recipe and modified it just a twinge.

I lowered the brown sugar to 1/2 cup.
I upped the cinnamon to 1 teaspoon.
Used whole wheat flour instead of all purpose.
Instead of the raisins, I used 1 cup dried cranberries and 1 cup walnuts.
Instead of honey, I used 1/2 cup Splenda.
Instead of oil, I used 1 cup applesauce.

I could only find my 9" circle pan instead of the 9"x13" pan, so even though others recommended a shorter cooking time, 30 minutes was perfect.  It came out crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.  With the changes it came to 125 calories for 24 pieces. 

These were so good that when I realized that I was gobbling them down, I would have to hide them and bring them into work to share so I didn't eat all of them.  Next time I cook/bake, I'll have to take a picture to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment