Friday, January 18, 2019

R.I.P Dad

Work has slowed down, but I still haven't posted this year.  This is because two weeks ago my dad passed away.  Now, I know everyone will want to share their condolences, but this was a good thing and we are celebrating his life.

About 10 years ago my dad started showing signs of Alzheimer's Disease.  He did fine till about two years ago when he started wandering.  Then a year ago, he started not wanting to be out of the sight of my mom, afraid that if he didn't see her, he would be lost.  At this point with the disease, most of what made my dad my dad was gone.  He no longer spoke as he did not remember words.  Growing up, my dad never even thought about raising a hand to anyone, but when he was scared or didn't get what he wanted he threatened violence.  Then a few months ago he stopped getting out of bed.  He would wake up and my mom or their nurse would give him some food and drink and he would go back to sleep.  This is why it was a good thing.

Knowing my dad is gone is sad, but he had been slipping away slowly.  I have had the time to grieve over the last couple of years and now it's time to celebrate his life.  He is no longer in pain.  My mom no longer has to worry about him and take care of him 24/7.

I was able to spend time with him over the holidays.  He was awake when I called to say Happy New Years.  It was nice that he made it into 2019.  My mom thinks he was holding on for the New Year so that she would get the tax benefit (he worked for the IRS and was a true tax man).  Yesterday we said good-bye to him for the final time.  It was sad that I will no longer see him.  My mom and I shared some pictures and remembered the good times.

My dad helping me hang my stocking.

 

My dad and me at Niagara Falls.


Mom and Dad at Animal Kingdom.


Dad at winery Virginia Winery.


Mom, Dad, my uncle and aunt, and me in Denver for Christmas two years ago.



Don't be sad for me.  Be happy that I was able to have many years with such a great dad.  The last few years were hard as he slipped away and Alzheimer's took over.  But now he is in a better place.


8 comments:

  1. Heather, thanks for sharing your thoughts about your dad. I am sure you will miss him. Glad that you can can remember the happy times and that he no longer has to suffer. Prayers to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very nice tribute to your dad. You have lots of fantastic and loving memories to keep with you always. Prayers for you and your family

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so nice! Celebrate a wonderful life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He's a lovely man ... thank you for sharing these memories! Keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you sharing as I'm sure this couldn't have been an easy post to write. I am glad that you are able to celebrate the wonderful like that he had.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many great memories to remember him and celebrating his life! My thought and prayers are also with you and our family during this time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry for the loss you were suffering with your dad for the past couple years. This is a beautiful tribute to him to celebrate his life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been thinking about you very much! I'm glad that you and your mom were able to celebrate and be thankful for all the years and memories! I love that Niagara Falls pic! -M

    ReplyDelete